Originally built in 1222 this church was renovated and extended in the Italian Baroque style in the 17th century and was consecrated in 1672 by the Bishop of Cavaillon.
The interior is home to some of the best example of baroque that we can find in the south of France, with lavish frescoes, paintings & sculptures. There are 222 angel statues who accompany the Virgin to heaven, along with a set of thirty-three painted figures representing the mystery of the Trinity.
Tours are available through the tourist office.
- Place de l'Eglise L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
More Provence Insights...
- When to view the lavender fields in Provence
- Travellers welcome to Provence from June 15th 2020
- Matt Damon & Ben Affleck on set in Dordogne
- Which Provence restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?
- Happy New Year from Provence!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeProvence.com