This is one of the best castles we have ever visited, and not just in France! Situated on a rocky outcrop, this fantastic medieval castle has a strong military background, where it was used in the defence of the realm of Provence.
To this day, you can try out the full size siege machines and witness the firing of catapults (summer only). The castle spreads out over the whole plateau, most of it is in ruins, but these are made very accessible with roped paths and ladders for access (although the nervous may find the battlements one step too far!).
During the summer, there are plenty of activities for the whole family, with falconry, archery, re-enactments, horse & dog show, and dancing bears (I kid you not). The Chateau shelters the small village of Les Baux with its craftsmen, chapels and lordly residences. It's open every day, all year round and audio-guides & guided tours are available, or you can simply explore the castle yourself.
More Provence Insights...
- Travellers welcome to Provence from June 15th 2020
- Matt Damon & Ben Affleck on set in Dordogne
- Happy New Year from Provence!
- Free menus at Michelin-starred restaurants in Provence
- What's on in Provence September 2019
- Watch Perseids Meteors 2019 in Provence