As part of "Operation Dragoon" to liberate southern France, Allied forces arrived at the coast of Provence on August 15th 1944. This day is celebrated all around the region with parades, live music and popular dances and aperitifs.
Every town has its own festivities which usually end with a fireworks display.
More Provence Insights...
- When to view the lavender fields in Provence
- Travellers welcome to Provence from June 15th 2020
- Matt Damon & Ben Affleck on set in Dordogne
- Which Provence restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?
- Happy New Year from Provence!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeProvence.com