Provence has hundreds of lakes, rivers, beaches, gorges and public pools where you can cool down when a heat wave hits the region, as temperatures sometimes reach over 40ºC.
Lakes, both natural and artificial, are dotted all around Provence, especially in the mountainous regions, while the rivers Rhone, Verdon, Durance or Sorgue have tranquil shores and a few river beaches where you can dip into calm waters. In the south of Provence, the Bouches du Rhone also offers some great Mediterranean beaches while the Calanques, dramatic cliffs with small coves, are located just outside Marseille.
There are also waterparks in the region, as well as public swimming pools in almost every town so you'll never be far from a good place to cool down. Here are some of our favourites.
More Provence Insights...
- Happy New Year from Provence!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeProvence.com
- Free menus at Michelin-starred restaurants in Provence
- Taylor Swift plays Provence in 2020
- What's on in Provence September 2019
- Watch Perseids Meteors 2019 in Provence