The town of Mondragon to the north of Orange plays host to this fantastical festival with its emphasis on all things medieval.
The festival celebrates the legend of the dragon who lived in the River Rhone and would come out of the water to steal young maidens from the village.
The locals now try to tempt the Drac (French for dragon) out of the river during this festivity. The fair consists of markets, street entertainers, children's games, plenty of fancy dress and music until the small hours.
The centre piece is of course a 16 metre dragon which gets paraded through the streets in all its glory.
- Centre Village
More Provence Insights...
- Happy New Year from Provence!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeProvence.com
- Free menus at Michelin-starred restaurants in Provence
- Taylor Swift plays Provence in 2020
- What's on in Provence September 2019
- Watch Perseids Meteors 2019 in Provence