Step back in time in the village of Chateauneuf du Pape on the first weekend in August and discover the Fete de la Veraison.
The festival celebrates the first harvest of the grapes. Locals dress in medieval costume to man stalls selling everything from wine and grape juice to arts & crafts and other local produce.
With 200 actors, a wine-producing village, wine-tastings, a market with picturesque stalls, knights’ tournaments, pitched battles, Châteauneuf du Pape shows off its remarkable historic heritage. “La Véraison” is a celebration of the grape reaching maturity, turning from green to purple, creating the subtle aromas for which Châteauneuf du Pape appellation is renowned.
On the streets, jugglers and tumblers, magicians and minstrels provide permanent entertainment. Knights constantly seeking to defend a cause, cavort around, jousting and doing battle. Music and parades inevitably accompany the event, so don't forget your dancing shoes!
More Provence Insights...
- Matt Damon & Ben Affleck on set in Dordogne
- Which Provence restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?
- Happy New Year from Provence!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeProvence.com
- Free menus at Michelin-starred restaurants in Provence
- Taylor Swift plays Provence in 2020