This museum was created to protect one of the most important petroglyph sites in Europe, in the Merveilles Valley (valley of Wonders).
The permanent gallery is 750 sqm, and offers a journey into three sections: natural history, archaeology, arts and popular traditions. Featuring a modern museum and audiovisual and multimedia material, this gallery features 20,000-year history of the Valley of Wonders and Haute-Roya through maps, dioramas (multimedia animation), mouldings of rocks and original objects.
There is also a gallery of temporary exhibits of 100 sqm which regularly features other archaeological, artistic or ethnographic work.
The museum shop stocks a range of products mostly made by local artisan craftspeople as well as book, jewellery, ceramics and glass.
- Avenue du 16 septembre 1947
More Provence Insights...
- When to view the lavender fields in Provence
- Travellers welcome to Provence from June 15th 2020
- Matt Damon & Ben Affleck on set in Dordogne
- Which Provence restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?
- Happy New Year from Provence!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeProvence.com