Even though Nîmes lies just outside the PACA-region, the town is so much linked to Provence, in style, in history and in atmosphere, that we think it deserves a place on this website.
Nîmes has a very long and rich history, dating back to the Roman Empire when the city was home to between 50-60,000 people. There are several famous monuments, such as the Nîmes Arena and the Maison Carrée and it is because of this, that Nîmes is often referred to as the French Rome.
More Provence Insights...
- When to view the lavender fields in Provence
- Travellers welcome to Provence from June 15th 2020
- Matt Damon & Ben Affleck on set in Dordogne
- Which Provence restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?
- Happy New Year from Provence!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeProvence.com