Apt lies at the heart of the Luberon and became a Roman colony thanks to its position on the Via Domitia - the Roman road built in France to link Italy to Spain.
Its location along this road allowed Apt to develop into a successful market town as traders took advantage of the transport routes. And this market provides the main reason to visit Apt today.
More Provence Insights...
- Happy New Year from Provence!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeProvence.com
- Free menus at Michelin-starred restaurants in Provence
- Taylor Swift plays Provence in 2020
- What's on in Provence September 2019
- Watch Perseids Meteors 2019 in Provence